The Nature of Astrology: History, Philosophy, and Science

Thursday, November 2, 7:00 p.m. CT

The Nature o Astrology with Bruce Scofield 11.2.23It is probable that 99% of people engaged with astrology, ranging from casual Sun Sign readings to advanced professionals, are focused on astrology as a practice in which the lives of human beings are analyzed. The other 1% includes those involved with mundane astrology or historical astrology. In other words, the subject of astrology is primarily known as a practice. Its larger place among other subjects, and its main branches other than those of applied practice, have not yet been worked out.

The most glaring defect in the field is the lack of a coherent explanation, or even developed theories, for how it works—and this is critical if astrology is to gain a foothold in the world of knowledge. In this talk, author and astrologer Bruce Scofield will discuss astrology's history and applications and will outline what he views as astrology’s major problems in becoming a subject in its own right and finding a place among other fields of inquiry and knowledge.

Bruce ScofieldBruce Scofield Ph.D. began a lifelong study of astrology in 1967 and for over 45 years maintained a full-time consulting practice specializing in psychological analysis, relationships and electional astrology. He is the author of, or contributor to, many books and a large number of articles on astrology and other topics. He has served on the education committee of NCGR since 1979, as both member and director, and is presently serving as president of PAA. He holds an M.A. in history, a Ph.D. in geoscience and has taught science at the University of Massachusetts and astrology-related courses for Kepler College. His website contains information on Mesoamerican astrology and other topics.

This program will be streamed live on YouTubeFacebook, and our website  on Thursday, November 2 at 7:00 p.m. CT.