The Henry S. Olcott Memorial Library is a unique library bringing together the religious, philosophical, and spiritual traditions of the East and West, emphasizing the Ancient Wisdom tradition—Theosophy.
Founded in 1926 and named after Colonel Henry Steel Olcott, one of the founders of the Theosophical Society, the library is located at the Society's national center in Wheaton, Illinois. The library’s collection of about 25,000 books, periodicals, video, and audio recordings is one of the finest in the country. Some of the many subjects included are Theosophy, Eastern philosophy and religions, comparative religion, esoteric Christianity, mysticism, mythology, psychology, parapsychology, meditation, healing, death and dying, astrology, and yoga.
Browse our Online Catalog
The Henry S. Olcott Memorial Library is a specialized library sharing its online catalog of resources directly to libraries throughout northern Illinois and to patrons nationwide.
Membership and Borrowing Information
Membership in the Theosophical Society in America includes library borrowing privileges (in person or by mail); however, members must register for this benefit with the library.
Nonmembers may register for library privileges for an annual fee of $30 (local borrower), $40 (mail borrower), or $150 (life member of the library).
Borrowing privileges are limited to persons residing in the United States. Please see the drop-down below for the Member Registration.
The Mail-in Registration can be printed out, filled out, signed, and sent to the library by postal mail or fax. Instructions are included on the form.
Borrowing By Mail
• Eligibility: The Henry S. Olcott Memorial Library can lend materials only to persons residing within the United States.
• Request Forms: Requests to borrow materials by mail should be made in writing. A pre-printed order form is available upon request. Registered users of the library may place borrowing requests directly from the Online Library Catalog.
• Due Date: The due date on material borrowed by mail allows two additional weeks for travel time. Materials must be returned to reach the library by the due date specified.
• Shipping: Borrowed materials may be returned in the same packaging in which they were received, by using the return labels provided. All materials may be shipped through some trackable means or insured which includes tracking. Borrowers pay the return postage.
* To ensure the timely availability of material to all our patrons, late fees are assessed on all past-due materials.
** A processing fee of $10 per title will be charged for any materials lost or damaged while in the patron’s possession. Additionally, the patron is responsible for the item’s replacement cost, plus applicable overdue fines.
Materials held by the Krotona and New York TS libraries cannot be borrowed by mail.If you are currently a member of the Theosophical Society in America, you already have access to all of the resources available through the Olcott Memorial Library! Please click below to begin exploring.
If you are located in the United States or Puerto Rico and would like to become a member of the Olcott Memorial Library and not the Theosophical Society in America, please click below to begin the registration process! Please read the Borrowing Terms and Conditions.